Using remote views is the easiest and most common method to access and update remote data. SQL pass-through technology allows you to send SQL statements directly to the server and, because the statements execute on the server, they are a powerful way to enhance the performance of your client/server application.
The following topics provide information on how to use SQL pass-through technology in your applications.
In This Section
- How to: Access Stored Procedures on Remote Servers with SQL Pass-Through Functions
- Describes how to use server stored procedures. Server stored procedures can greatly enhance performance of SQL statements and batches.
- How to: Use SQL Pass-Through Functions
- Explains how your client/server application can access remote data with SQL pass-through. A comparison of remote views and SQL pass-through technologies is also provided.
- Visual FoxPro SQL Pass-Through Functions
- Provides a list of SQL Pass-Through functions.
- Using Result Sets
- Explains how Visual FoxPro handles result sets that are returned from SQL Pass-Through functions.
- How to: Return Multiple Result Sets
- Explains how to retrieve multiple result sets, such as those from a stored procedure that contains native server SELECT statements.
- How to: Create a Parameterized Query
- Explains how to create a parameterized query with SQL pass-through technology.
- Using SQL Server Input/Output Parameters
- Describes how to use input and output parameters to pass values between SQL Server and Visual FoxPro.
- Execution of ODBC Extensions to SQL
- Provides information on how to execute OBDC extensions to SQL.
- Managing Connections with SQL Pass-Through
- Describes how to manage your server connections by providing an overview of the various environment and connection properties and how to set them.
- Sharing Connections for Remote Data
- Describes how Visual FoxPro makes it possible for you to share a connection handle for a remote data connection, which is useful for reducing the number of connections when managing SQL Server connections and server resources.
- How to: Use Automatic Transaction Mode
- Describes how to set Visual FoxPro to automatically wrap every data-writing operation sent to a remote server in a transaction.
- How to: Control Transactions Manually
- Describes how to manually control transactions with a remote server.
- Selecting the Right Methods
- Describes and contrasts the best practices for use of remote views and SQL pass-through technology in your client/server application.