Wednesday: Indexed Pages
A very basic fact of SEO is this: Before your website can rank well on the search
engines, it must be
, or present, in the search engines. Is your website there to
be found? Today you are going to find out by answering these questions:
• How many of my site’s pages are indexed?
• Are my top landing pages indexed?
In the next sections, we’ll show how you’ll do it.
Total Pages Indexed on Your Site
Follow these steps to find out the total number of pages within your domain that are
present on the major search engines:
• Starting with Google, perform a search to find pages from within your domain
only. Search engines have a special syntax for finding all pages in a site; for
example, on Google you would type
(using your own site
address in place of
) in the search box.
• Make a note of the number of pages returned. This is the total number of pages
indexed from your domain. For example, in Figure 6.5 you can see that there are
about 61,500 pages indexed within the domain mudcat.org.
• Repeat for MSN, Yahoo!, and Ask. This search can be tricky on some search
engines. See our companion website at
for an up-to-date
list of search shortcuts and instructions.
Google search results for Site:
c06. 8:07 123