This dialog box makes it possible for you to set editing options for the current editing window or set color and font options for all editing sessions.
This dialog box appears when you choose Properties from the shortcut menu of any editing window or when you click Properties on the Edit menu.
The options in this area affect the current editing window only.
- Drag-and-drop editing
- Enables drag-and-drop text editing for manipulating text with the mouse.
- Wraps text lines within the window. Wordwrap is only available when the syntax coloring is set to OFF. For more information, see Editor Tab, Options Dialog Box.
- Automatic indent
- Automatically indents text according to the first line's indent. This does not affect how the text is saved.
- Embedded hyperlinks
- Makes it possible for you to specify whether hyperlinks can be included in the selected file type.
Makes it possible for you to control the size, style, color and other text characteristics.
- Specifies left, center, or right alignment of text.
- Changes the font in the edit window. Click the ellipsis (...) button to open the Font dialog box.
- Show line/column position
- Enables the display of line number and column position in the status bar. The line number isn't displayed if wordwrap is enabled.
- Syntax coloring
- Toggles whether colors are shown for syntax elements. You can only select if wordwrap is set to OFF. For more information, see Editor Tab, Options Dialog Box.
- Display white space
Specifies whether spaces, tabs, and paragraphs appear as characters in the currently active editor. This option is available when you work in the text editor. Paragraph markers (line feeds) appear only if the wordwrap option is enabled. To display white space, click View White Space on the Format menu.
Note: The View White Space option is not supported on double-byte character set (DBCS) platforms.
Makes it possible for you to manage characteristics of saved files. The available save options depend on the type of file you open.
- Make backup copy
- Specifies that Visual FoxPro create a backup copy each time you save a file. The backup copy is saved with the file name and a .bak extension in your Visual FoxPro Projects folder.
- Save with line feeds
- Saves the file with line feeds that have been entered into it. If this box is not selected, line feeds are removed when the file is saved. For more information, see AddLineFeeds Property.
- Save with end-of-file marker
- Places a CTRL+Z character at the end of a file when the file is saved. This extra character, when saved with the file, helps resolve the difference between normal editing activity and MODIFY MEMO activity. For more information, see MODIFY MEMO Command.
- Compile before saving (Program editor)
- Specifies that Visual FoxPro automatically compile the program and check for syntax errors when the file is saved.
- Save preferences
- Determines if the settings for an open file and all other windows of that same type are saved for the next time they are opened. If Save preferences is not selected, the preferences are only saved for the individual open window.
- Apply to method code (Form or Class Designer)
- Specifies the current settings as the default for all form or class methods.
- Apply to menu code (Menu Designer)
- Specifies the current settings as the default for all menu procedures.
- Apply to .PRG or .TXT files (Program or text editor)
- Specifies the current settings as the default for .prg or .txt files.
- Apply to memos (Memo field editor)
- Specifies the current settings as the default for memo fields.
Makes it possible for you to specify the size and behavior of spaces and tabs.
- Tab size
- Specifies the width, in characters, of a tab for the currently selected file type. The range is 1 to 50. The default value is 4.
- Indent size
- Specifies the width, in characters, of a paragraph indent for the currently selected file type. If this is different from the tab size, extra tabs and/or spaces are used to create the specified value. The range is 1 to 50. The default value is 4.
- Insert spaces
- Specifies that spaces be inserted by the tab key for the currently selected file type. The default value is 4.
- Keep tabs
- Specifies that tabs be inserted by the tab key for the currently selected file type (default).
File Information (Program or text editor)
Makes it possible for you to specify the system characteristics of saved files.
- File Name
- Specifies the name and directory of the program or text file being edited.
- Specifies the size of the program or text file being edited.
- Last Saved
- The date and time the program or text file was last saved to disk.